You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-14 23:53:10

lostsole

What One Song Would You Have Played At Your Funeral?

We talk a lot about death and the end of times on this forum. And, some of us are dealing with death first hand.

When my mother died from the jab (on Christmas day no less.) us siblings struggled to figure out what to play for her funeral song. We ultimately chose one of my own compositions. I wrote music for twenty years.

Anyway, I've wondered since what to tell my family would be the one song out of the thousands that I love, that would best either speak of my life, or at least the feel of my life.

So, I'm putting it out to you guys. What would be your one funeral song, for your own passing?

Here's the song I ultimately settled on for me. It's by Kansas. It's also somewhat the style of music I write.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9OEw_rnRk0

Also, I promise to listen to every song and comment on it, that you may post, if anyone does? I also like to try new music.

#2 2022-04-14 23:57:43

Robert369

Re: What One Song Would You Have Played At Your Funeral?

I'd suggest to rather think how you live than how you die or your body gets removed, but each to their own... Thus, I consider it more advisable to focus on efforts/projects that prolong life (which very well is possible) instead of making one's after-death a ceremony for oneself.

This being said, hardly any of today's music is done with the correct tuning and tonal system anyways, insofar I'd better not have any of that - no matter if alive or dead. See my 432Hz explanations in this forum via the search function if you seek more information on this matter.

Helping people to self-empower and liberate themselves, and by that ultimately the whole planet and beyond. See my profile for means to connect.

#3 2022-04-15 00:45:32

DarkOwl

Robert369 wrote:

I'd suggest to rather think how you live than how you die or your body gets removed, but each to their own... Thus, I consider it more advisable to focus on efforts/projects that prolong life (which very well is possible) instead of making one's after-death a ceremony for oneself.

Easter (pagan or christian) is a death and rebirth ritual so perhaps the OP is not inappropriate.
It's also a time a mass human sacrifice. Unpleasant to consider but none-the-less needs acknowledging.

Death is something some avoid. Death is something others over indulge in. There is a balance to be found there.

When I was younger the Dead Can Dance song The Host of Seraphim seemed like a good one to have played as my coffin was marched down the aisle (too somber and overly dramatic for me now but will post regardless). It can still raise the hairs on the back of my neck though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hThAlY3Q2Kw

I don't think about my own funeral these days (nor would I want one in the traditional sense). Like what Robert suggested, I plan to live long and prosper (hopefully with some help from some et tech). smile

Most experiences are unsayable, they happen in a space that no word has ever entered    Rainer Maria Rilke

#4 2022-04-15 01:04:14

lostsole

DarkOwl,

I frankly don't get where Robert is coming from with a simple request, meant to be kind of interactive with the forum, and perhaps fun for some folks, despite the topic.

I don't focus on death for myself, but as mentioned, my mother's funeral made me realize I do need to think about planning things a little at least, in case.

Otherwise, I focus on all manner of positive things and surviving the things to come, and moving toward a better planet. (But being human, I do have my down days.)

At the end of the day however, we all die. When we die, it IS a time, to make ceremony of yourself for you and your family. What else is a funeral or service for? So, to that, Robert and I can agree to disagree.

Anyway I appreciated all of your points DarkOwl. Thank you.

I listened in full to the beautiful song you posted. I LOVE that sort of music, and I see why you might have picked it at an earlier time. I'm not sure it's overly dramatic though. The song is added to my playlist!

#5 2022-04-15 01:34:16

RoadtoSamadhi

TELEVISION ROMANCE - PALE WAVES

https://youtu.be/ot1j5M5PTC4

But maybe I’m just weird.  ??. Let loose guys, cheers and happy Thursday.

#6 2022-04-15 01:46:27

lostsole

RoadtoSamadhi wrote:

TELEVISION ROMANCE - PALE WAVES

https://youtu.be/ot1j5M5PTC4

But maybe I’m just weird.  ??. Let loose guys, cheers and happy Thursday.

Funny thing, a bra commercial came up first, and I'm like, this will be good. Lol. I'm a guy btw.

Anyway, when the song first came on, I thought well, this one won't be in my genre, but I'll give it a listen as promised. Turns out, I liked it by the end, and added it to my list. Guitar was great, beat also, and I liked the singer's look and her voice. The chorus had a nice hook.

I also looked up and read the lyrics. I didn't see the end of life tie in, but if Television Romance is the feel of your life, then I can go with that!

Nice song!

#7 2022-04-15 03:17:38

DarkOwl

lostsole wrote:

DarkOwl,

I frankly don't get where Robert is coming from with a simple request, meant to be kind of interactive with the forum, and perhaps fun for some folks, despite the topic.

I don't focus on death for myself, but as mentioned, my mother's funeral made me realize I do need to think about planning things a little at least, in case.

Otherwise, I focus on all manner of positive things and surviving the things to come, and moving toward a better planet. (But being human, I do have my down days.)

At the end of the day however, we all die. When we die, it IS a time, to make ceremony of yourself for you and your family. What else is a funeral or service for? So, to that, Robert and I can agree to disagree.

Anyway I appreciated all of your points DarkOwl. Thank you.

I listened in full to the beautiful song you posted. I LOVE that sort of music, and I see why you might have picked it at an earlier time. I'm not sure it's overly dramatic though. The song is added to my playlist!

Don't let Robert369 doubt yourself. He has strong opinions about things and his delivery can come across as somewhat abrasive. One of his many roles is to help us stand by our convictions by questioning them. It's a gift disguised as an arrow smile (although nothing wrong with improving ones bedside manner is there not) wink
I love a good 'ol discussion about death and dying as it is a part of life (my mother died literally days before yours) and music is a great tool to reflect on this.
Nice thread BTW smile

Most experiences are unsayable, they happen in a space that no word has ever entered    Rainer Maria Rilke

#8 2022-04-15 04:00:46

lostsole

DarkOwl,

I have seen over many posts, he is someone that I personally need to not engage with often or perhaps not at all.

It may be that we are too similar in depth of various experiences and how we can at times interact with others, in a managerial type sense. I come from a family of teachers and college professors, and my career was mid level management for decades, so I myself can be abrasive/bossy at times, often without even realizing it. This led to problems in my marriage in the past. Point is, two similar charges don't attract well. I could tell that energetically from the very first post of his I read here. I'll leave it at that.

I digress, and I agree. Death is part of life, and if we all believe what we claim, then imo, we should openly talk about it, as it's only a transition, a blip in time. We should imo, respect those who have lost the loved one, and the pain they are going through. Thus, the funeral or service of whatever sort, the celebration of that person's life. That of course doesn't mean we want mass death on the planet, or that we are always dwelling on death.

I'm sorry, I forgot about you losing your Mom around the same time. Thus, I get the big loser award for the day. : ( I won't forget again. Perhaps both of our mothers are out there watching us, saying to each other. "Those two worry way too much!"

The collective of the NDE's I've read, say in general, the other side is home and hyper real, and when done, this Earth life is like a dream, or a winter coat you shed when you come indoors. I hope that is the case.

I'm happy you like the thread and I hope more people will participate. I've enjoyed the two songs so far!

Last edited by lostsole (2022-04-15 04:36:15)

#9 2022-04-15 08:49:10

Edith_S

Hi lostsole,

When a beloved someone passes we should honor her/him by wishing well on their journey, and examining our life too.

I'm used to think often to my death to remember to live a full life, to liberate myself from the destructive thoughts and feelings with which our life is full - if we allow it.

A mentioned in another post:

I made friends with the idea of my own inevitable death - this also helps to put me on the move and live like this day is the last of my life, so I am able to pull myself together, to solve  the problem, and live things in order behind, as " this is the last day of my life, and tomorrow doesn't exist!"

Now I can laugh at me and spear a lot of energy for what I chose to experience.

So here's my song - The Song of Silence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGeHPbOkWus

The Situation Is Hopeless But Not Serious, Paul Watzlawick

#10 2022-04-15 14:01:47

lostsole

Edith_S wrote:

Hi lostsole,

When a beloved someone passes we should honor her/him by wishing well on their journey, and examining our life too.

I'm used to think often to my death to remember to live a full life, to liberate myself from the destructive thoughts and feelings with which our life is full - if we allow it.

A mentioned in another post:

I made friends with the idea of my own inevitable death - this also helps to put me on the move and live like this day is the last of my life, so I am able to pull myself together, to solve  the problem, and live things in order behind, as " this is the last day of my life, and tomorrow doesn't exist!"

Now I can laugh at me and spear a lot of energy for what I chose to experience.

So here's my song - The Song of Silence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGeHPbOkWus
]

Edith,

Thank you for your message!

Your statement about honoring and reflecting on our own lives as well as the passed on loved one, is spot on. Thanks for the reminder!

I liked your death psychology you tell yourself. Honestly, at times I've done similar in my thoughts after watching certain movies, or whatever in life would get me feeling/thinking that way. But, I can't always hold on to the more positive view points and at times drift back into fear, uncertainty, etc., when considering death, despite I've read numerous near death experiences that should have given me permanent comfort. My recent stint with the Vid, in the hospital, sure got me thinking on death. Lol!

As to your song choice, excellent! That is my favorite Simon and Garfunkel song!

As a side note, I don't typically like remakes of classics songs, but I did like this version by Disturbed rather well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

I imagine you have heard it already. Anyway, it gives the song a whole new flavor while not ruining it, imo.

So, I do think your choice is an awesome, somber, and profound funeral song. Here are the lyrics below for those who don't know the song, or have forgotten the lyrics.

The Sound of Silence
Simon & Garfunkel
Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams, I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a streetlamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light, I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools", said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
In tenement halls"
And whispered in the sounds of silence

#11 2022-04-15 14:04:40

white dwarf

lostsole, if your piece of music is uploaded somewhere, would you mind to share it? I hope your mother didn't suffer too much.

If my personal NPCs get to bury my meat cage, they're not going to make it the kind of event I'd be satisfied with even if I told them my wishes. And I'd rather have no funeral anyway, so let's imagine that I'm floating in space, in a spacesuit, and listening to this while my senses are slowly turned off: https://youtu.be/w3VNep_u-lY

An epic end of a boring, disappointing life cool

#12 2022-04-15 15:02:38

lostsole

white dwarf,

Thank you for the condolences. Unfortunately, she suffered horribly for two weeks and was my true awakening that death by jab was real. She got shingles and encephalitis in the brain, shortly after her third jab, both of which are widely known jab side effects. It was an ugly time. As I've expressed before, she was a sweet soul and did not deserve such a horrific ending.

As to your song request, thank you kindly for your interest. I'll speak more on that after we cover your funeral song choice.

Now, to your song and statements. First, meat cage! Lol, yes, that is about what it is for all of us. With NPC's all around you, I can respect your desire for no funeral. And, given what you said you might like your ending to be, floating in space, I felt your song was PERFECT for what you described. : ) I enjoyed it!

So, excellent choice like the others who contributed, and I added it to my playlist. Lovely music and fitting!

Regarding my own music. Please let me preface it a bit.

Prior to my spiritual awakening around 9-11-01, I mostly wrote spiritual/religious contemporary music. (A little bit of pop also.) In the 80's, when I was starting out, my voice wasn't quite mature, which was about the time I wrote the song we much later played at my Mom's funeral. Our family was of the Mormon religion then, and my mother was very devout, so we decided my "Families are Forever" song, which is very Mormon centric, was most appropriate. Mormons believe, that their families will be together forever in the afterlife, once sealed in a Mormon temple. Just as an fyi. I actually still believe that, but not in a Mormon type framework.

Later, in the 90's, I started writing more general (non-Mormon) spiritual contemporary music. Out of around 100 songs I wrote in this era, I feel my best one was "Sweetest Humility," which got a little airtime on some Christian radio stations in the eastern USA. It was around the era of this song that my voice matured and I felt this particular song was my best work in all aspects of composition, singing, etc. So, it is a religious song lyrically, but try to overlook that and see if you like the general melody, etc.

Here's the link below. Let me know that it worked for you. And, thank you again for taking the time to listen.

Link removed.

Last edited by lostsole (2022-04-17 02:10:41)

#13 2022-04-15 16:05:53

white dwarf

Oops. I apologise, I've just realised I read about your mom's tragic end over a month ago. I didn't associate those posts with your nickname. I'm sorry for making you reminisce about something that unpleasant again.

Thank you for sharing your story and your music! Although I'm not religious anymore or family-oriented, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be annoyed to hear your song at a funeral. I like this kind of personal touches and you can sing. Sweetest Humility makes me hope you can have a chuckle now when thinking about your "mormon hit song".

I encourage you to explore other Two Steps From Hell tracks, they're good at what they do. My funeral would be a lie, a boring like. Religious, no songs outside of generic funeral music during their ritual, people coming out of obligation or curiousity. When I say NPCs, I'm talking about the people who would get to make the choices. I would need to unsingle myself to have a better option.

#14 2022-04-15 16:54:38

lostsole

white dwarf,

No problem at all. I forgot about DarkOwl's mother dying around the same time my mom passed, so I certainly don't get a cookie in the memory department.

Like you said, I'm not religious in the slightest anymore either. In fact, I was angry for many years that I was duped so hard by religion, once I opened my mind around the turn of the century to study the many flaws in the Mormon history.

Unlike you though, I am heavily family oriented. I'm lucky in that my own family and my wife's extensive family are all very good people, and as of now, are still alive, save my mom. I know a lot of folks don't have family, or have shitty families, or have lost family recently.

I sure appreciate your positive comments and time taken to listen to my songs! Thank you! Despite they were religious songs, it was a fun time in my life creating music. But, that's over. I have old man vocal shake in my singing now. : (

Like I mentioned, I also wrote 80's pop music for a while. If I had stuck with it consistently, I'm very confident I could have gone somewhere at the time. So, perhaps I don't chuckle much, but rather lament I didn't try harder, and rather drank too much back then. Oh well. : /

I will most certainly try the other tracks. I love finding new good music, and what you posted fits the bill. I recently had found Fat Rat's Warrior song which I really enjoy. And, my granddaughter last year turned me on to Alan Walker's stuff which I love much of that.

Got you on the NPC comment. Why not unsingle yourself, out of curiosity? Why would your funeral be a lie, boring?

#15 2022-04-15 17:19:50

white dwarf

I like 80s music (including bare instrumentals) so now I'm a bit sad with you. If you have something uploaded from that era, I'd gladly listen to it too. I've checked TheRatFat and thanks, I have something new to explore now.

I did explain in my last reply how it is a lie, but I will shortly clarify: it would be a meaningless ritual and social gathering with people who didn't know or like much.

Nowadays I don't do close relationships. I'm not good at meeting compatible people and I'd rather not waste my energy looking for then.

#16 2022-04-15 18:40:53

lostsole

Glad you appreciate 80's music also. That was my growing up time. I sure miss the era a lot. It was a simpler time.

Sorry, I wasn't getting your full context on the lie, but I get it now. Sad though. : ( Hopefully none of us will need to be worrying about funerals anyway for a while yet.

And, on the relationships. I do empathize with modern single people. The digital ways you meet each other to me, seem empty and shallow compared to the good old days pre-internet. So, I get it to some degree.

I'll think if I have a pop genre song that was good enough to share. My very early stuff, when I first started composing was the pop stuff. So, my skills were just starting. Religious music came later.

Thanks for the chat today and also glad you liked the Fat Rat material!

#17 2022-04-15 19:01:59

white dwarf

Take your time. I'll have your beginner skill in consideration.

I was talking about all kinds of relationships. Most post-boomer people are still capable of making new connections in person. It's just that I'm too weird for this world and barely put myself out there *shrug*

Have a good day.

Last edited by white dwarf (2022-04-15 19:57:34)

#18 2022-04-16 08:00:50

DarkOwl

This is more me today. Make sure you dance like no-ones watching round my casket big_smile

Deep Dish - Driving To Heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmOFdR7-M8

#19 2022-04-16 17:02:58

lostsole

DarkOwl wrote:

This is more me today. Make sure you dance like no-ones watching round my casket big_smile

Deep Dish - Driving To Heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmOFdR7-M8

That's a very cool song! Never heard of these guys. Nice beat with a unique melody and harmonics. Great updated choice imo! Another for my list also! : )

Sad we have not had more contributors to the thread, but it is what it is.

Here's the lyrics for anyone interested.

I wanted to stay
Everyone was pale and faded
Zelo is hesitated
When it was time to turn on
I wanted to stop
My eyes were so dilated
The traffic seemed syncopated
And my car turned me on
I.m driving to heaven
Driving to heaven
And there.s no way back home

I wanted to breathe
The air had been confiscated
The ground was unrelated
And the light turned me on
I.m driving to heaven
Driving to heaven
And there.s no way back home

#20 2022-04-16 17:08:10

lostsole

Btw DarkOwl, your comment here, "Make sure you dance like no-ones watching" made me think of a song I really like that says similar. It's not my funeral song, but I sure love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBUroXCdHFc

Lyrics
You know that love's the answer
The greatest ruling force
That carries you forever
Beyond the farthest cause
Oh, will we ever learn the lessons of the world?
Instead repeating history without a care
How much we hurt, sometimes it seems
That we will never, ever understand
The things we got to do
Dance like no one is watching
Love like you'll never be hurt
The things we got to do
Sing like no one is listening
And live like it's your last day on earth
The things we got to do
If nothing lasts forever that doesn't mean it's cheap
It's only the beginning of something rather deep
We're trying to survive, we're always on the run
The sky's in ever blue but the sun is long, long gone
A stranger at the corner pretending to be me
Could it really be?
The things we got to do
Dance like no one is watching
The things we got to do
Sing like no one is listening
And live like it's your last day on earth
The things we got to do
The things we got to do
The things we got to do

#21 2022-04-16 17:49:01

Merri

lostsole wrote:

It's not my funeral song, but I sure love this song.

Same here ORYOM - Native Prayer It speaks to me on a soul level<3

#22 2022-04-16 19:55:06

lostsole

Merri wrote:
lostsole wrote:

That is indeed an enchanting song! Haunting. Makes you want to meditate by a campfire. Added to the list and I'll explore more of their work. Never heard of them. Thank you for sharing!

Maybe we should make this thread the "what are some of your favorite songs that perhaps lean spiritual/deep/uplifting, etc.?" (to keep it on purpose with the forum. In other words death metal wouldn't really fit. OR would it!? Lol.)

Maybe more people will join in that way and share their music tastes.

Seems more pleasant to discuss music then billions of people dying from jabs, etc. Or, this could be the feel good music thread after you read the death threads! Lol.

Here's the lyrics for "Native Prayer" for those curious.

I'm calling my heart (3x)
Heyowana heyana hee nee
Pray within me (3x)
Heyowana heyana hee nee heyunuyinee

Oh mother earth (3x)
Heyowana heyana hee nee
Teach me to walk, teach me to walk, walk in your way
Oh father sky (3x)
Heyowana heyana hee nee
Teach me to fly, teach me to fly, fly in your way
Oh brother sun (3x)
Heyowana heyana hee nee
Shine on your light, shine on your light, shine on my way
Whole sister moon (3x)
Heyowana heyana hee nee
Lighten my dreams, lighten my nights, lighten my soul

#23 2022-04-16 20:29:17

Merri

lostsole wrote:
Merri wrote:
lostsole wrote:

That is indeed an enchanting song! Haunting. Makes you want to meditate by a campfire. Added to the list and I'll explore more of their work. Never heard of them. Thank you for sharing!

Maybe we should make this thread the "what are some of your favorite songs that perhaps lean spiritual/deep/uplifting, etc.?" (to keep it on purpose with the forum. In other words death metal wouldn't really fit. OR would it!? Lol.)

Maybe more people will join in that way and share their music tastes.

Seems more pleasant to discuss music then billions of people dying from jabs, etc. Or, this could be the feel good music thread after you read the death threads! Lol.

Here's the lyrics for "Native Prayer" for those curious.

I'm calling my heart (3x)
Heyowana heyana hee nee
Pray within me (3x)

Oh mother earth (3x)
Heyowana heyana hee nee
Teach me to walk, teach me to walk, walk in your way
Oh father sky (3x)
Heyowana heyana hee nee
Teach me to fly, teach me to fly, fly in your way
Oh brother sun (3x)
Heyowana heyana hee nee
Shine on your light, shine on your light, shine on my way
Whole sister moon (3x)
Heyowana heyana hee nee
Lighten my dreams, lighten my nights, lighten my soul

...heynayinee heyowana heyana hee nee hey nahineeeeya eya e ooooooooooooh eeehee heyaaaaaeeeeheyahiooo
heya heya hey heyia heya heya heyio heya heya heyio

[Drums]

Hey
glory air of light (x3)
heyowana heyana heene
standing by me, teach me to fight, fight with no war
heyowana heyana heene hey nahinee
children of this life (x3)
heyowana heyana heene
teach me to laugh, teach me to laugh laughing your way
angels from above, angels from below, angels from within
heyowana heyana heene
come with your grace, come and heal me, come and heal me
when we embrace, all that exits, all that is here
heyowana heyana heene
then their heart prays, then their heart shines, then their heart sees
heynayinee heyowana heyana hee nee hey nahineeeeya eya e ooooooooooooh eeehee heyaaaaaeeeeheyahiooo

all becomes love (x3)
heyowana heyana heene
when we are one, when we are one, one within love
one within love (x3)

#24 2022-04-16 21:32:08

lostsole

Sorry if I missed some of the lyrics. : (

#25 2022-04-17 03:36:09

Edith_S

Hi lostsole,

I listened to your song Sweetest Humility and I like it, congratulations !!

Thanks to your initiative we will end up with a wonderful collection of songs!

Last edited by Edith_S (2022-04-17 03:45:45)

The Situation Is Hopeless But Not Serious, Paul Watzlawick

Board footer