You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-27 09:37:43

DarkOwl

What do you guys think? NodeBB

What do you guys think of this forum software?
I'm thinking about ways we can improve forum usability and sense of community. Do we improve the existing format or migrate to new software?

This is NodeBB. Many of you will already be familiar with it. It has chat functions, posts can be 'liked' and catagories are easier to navigate. Different categories can be moderated by different moderators (I like this function LOL).

Check it out and tell what your thoughts are smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVty-kewGII

Most experiences are unsayable, they happen in a space that no word has ever entered    Rainer Maria Rilke

#2 2022-07-27 09:56:06

Dablin

Re: What do you guys think? NodeBB

You mean for this forum? lol, wait - within the last couple of days I noticed this sticky (https://forum.swaruu.org/viewtopic.php?id=804) from Matias within "Web & App Development".
This was from October 2020 stating that these forums were moving "soon" to NodeBB. Just an ironic coincidence maybe which is why I still had that post relatively fresh in my mind.

If it assists the community here I am all for it. Seems to have been in the planned for a while from what I can tell.

#3 2022-07-27 10:37:23

mitkobs

No need for complications. There are not so much posts per day and not much people of all registered users participate.

Last edited by mitkobs (2022-07-27 10:38:16)

#4 2022-07-27 10:58:29

Kahi Harawira

DarkOwl wrote:

What do you guys think of this forum software?
I'm thinking about ways we can improve forum usability and sense of community. Do we improve the existing format or migrate to new software?

This is NodeBB. Many of you will already be familiar with it. It has chat functions, posts can be 'liked' and catagories are easier to navigate. Different categories can be moderated by different moderators (I like this function LOL).

Check it out and tell what your thoughts are smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVty-kewGII

I found the advantages of this interesting and although there might be positives towards adopting such a system, it does indicate the stresses which have been placed upon this forum, and is seen as the "seeking of relief".

Personally, I follow the principle of the dominant frequency. That is to say, the altering of frequencies that conforms to the frequency which is the most dominant. As in a "meeting of a collective" as opposed to having that same meeting, broken up into workshops that would have their own thread, totally unassociated to each other. As in just another social media site.

Rather the forum as it currently stands, portrays all the attrtbutes and difficulties one finds in real life, which is completely different to the usual reality of digital online interaction, one usually finds. It means that despite the fact that not everyone agrees, the common thread which binds everyone, is the Taygeteans themselves.

Keeping it that way means that what anyone says or does can also be seen by everyone else, as opposed to a system of control locked behind a system of administrative privileges as is usually the case. I personally like the idea of open accountability as has been practiced to date and am not too keen on seeing it being abolished.

By coincidence, it was precisely this "lifting of frequencies" as being the common objective with regard to current tribal matters occurring here that was on my mind before I saw your post. That this only occurs in an environment of open and equal transparency, has guided my opinion herein.

#5 2022-07-27 22:23:40

Xenforo is ised by my other haunt https://www.timebomb2000.com/xf

Cosplayer and prop/costume maker.  Taking cutting edge tech and making science fiction into real life with mostly movie accurate builds.

#6 2022-07-28 01:57:09

DarkOwl

knoxvilles_joker wrote:

Xenforo is ised by my other haunt https://www.timebomb2000.com/xf

Hadn't seen that one before. Looks at a similar level to this forum would you say? How do you find it and compare?

Most experiences are unsayable, they happen in a space that no word has ever entered    Rainer Maria Rilke

#7 2022-07-28 07:53:03

Wooof

NodeBB is written with NodeJS. NodeJS is a language written by google teams... This language has security holes...

I saw the price https://nodebb.org/pricing/ : 250$/month. Beware to not be trapped when there is a bug and you have to pay for assistance.

I wrote programs in NodeJS. Easier to write, but the program is slower.

So for me, dangerous.

Last edited by Wooof (2022-07-28 07:58:55)

#8 2022-07-28 21:06:05

DarkOwl

Wooof wrote:

NodeBB is written with NodeJS. NodeJS is a language written by google teams... This language has security holes...

I saw the price https://nodebb.org/pricing/ : 250$/month. Beware to not be trapped when there is a bug and you have to pay for assistance.

I wrote programs in NodeJS. Easier to write, but the program is slower.

So for me, dangerous.

Wow. that's expensive. And thanks for the heads up re. security. Good to know!

#9 2022-07-28 22:11:48

Dablin

I believe the pricing is for hosting. NodeBB is also open source, can be downloaded from GitHub and installed manually by those with the web skills to do so. Regarding the security aspects though, I am not an aspect on NodeJS; also not defending it; but find me a language, web-service or operating system that is 100% secure? I run Linux on my computer, I also have a Linux operated website. Anyone who knows anything about IT knows that security is a proactive exercise that requires constant vigilance. The choice of a programming/scripting language or web platform will never provide you "security" by default.

Though I am sure there could be a case against NodeJS in particular, but the same could be said of JavaScript and PHP if you really want to go down that rabbit hole. They are also the founding languages of almost the entire public web infrastructure, so good luck avoiding them.

#10 2022-07-29 10:05:15

DavidR369

When Matias (i think) created this forum I remember thinking how ghetto it was and how it would be better if we had something more featured and more phone friendly (like a tapatalk intergrated forum).

However security is probably realistically more important than useability for a forum like that. Security in terms of resistance to malware (i've seen a bunch of awake forums such as orgonite ones fall onto malware lists), resistance to being banned and censored (having the software on the website and independent of central control by the provider) and just generally keeping user data private.

Board footer