You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-29 07:49:02

Ariya
Moderator

Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

As we are now past the spring equinox in the northern hemisphere I thought I would start a thread if anyone wants to share their experience or helpful tips here.  Or maybe i can inspire some of you to start doing the same…

I live in a city but I have a piece of ground around - maybe 20 x 25 m (called an allotment in the UK) where I have been growing plants for food and medicine since 2019. Prior to this,  I would grow food and herbs in containers on window sills.

Everything is grown without chemicals (no pesticides, herbicides,) To do this effectively, you need to have an effective balance of pest and predator. I also use physical barriers to stop birds eating all of the the fruit. I compensate by giving the birds their own section of fruit and berry bushes to eat from. We now live in very good cooperation. The insects and birds are my friends.

IMG-0266.jpg

It can be a lot of work to grow food, but it is worth it to ensure you (and family) are at least getting some very nutritious food (& with less toxins that what you might buy from the supermarket.) You can grow food at its own natural pace (rather than over accelerated growth due to fertiliser) and it often is more tasty.
IMG-0822.jpg
Just some of the food I grew last year were:
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Apples, Pear, Cherries,Plums, Fig (trees)
Salads - lettuce, rocket, spinach
Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, black currants,
Courgettes, squashes, pumpkins
Watermelons (in polytunnel.)
And lots more.
IMG-0971.jpg

Most of these things are quite easy and require little skill… nature often takes care of itself.

Many of the fruits and veg are long lasting depending on how you preserve them.

If you live in difficult climates, I find polytunnels very helpful to extend the growing season and protect against the weather.

I also like to grow a wide range of medicinal herbs for making teas or tinctures. Growing your own allows you them fresh and preserve the active ingredients to get the most benefits. Herbs such as :

Artemisia absinthe ( excellent anti parasitic)
Mint, Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Camomile
Mandrágora officiales, Poppies, calendula, arnica, digitalis (good for homeopathy.)
Echinacea
IMG-1861.jpg
Being in the sunshine and working hard is good exercise.  There are also lots of health benefits to being connected to nature and the cycles of life. It also cultivates a mindset of abundance (an apple tree produces more than a family can eat.) It also helps in becoming more resilient and less reliant on outside forces.

So please share your experiences or suggestions. I would love to hear from you all.

And if anyone would like organic multiple generation, naturally grown seeds to get started, let me know as I save a lot of good seeds from my own crops. If possible, (according to your country), I can post some to you.

Offline

#2 2024-03-29 09:48:12

Alec
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Ariya, this is absolutely fantastic and beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I must say that I'm not surprised or impressed, because I already expected this from you (no pressure).
The insects and birds are indeed your friends, you are creating a wonderful experience.

Next, you're developing a free energy device (with assistance from others), paving the way for complete independence from 97% of resources.
I've noticed that each forum member possesses their own unique skill set, which is truly amazing.

Offline

#3 2024-03-29 11:48:26

Kirion
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Ariya wrote:

So please share your experiences or suggestions. I would love to hear from you all.

I would like to draw the attention of the forum to a medicinal weed called Aegopodium podagraria. In many communities, it is called "the bread of recent times". Because this herb can be eaten harmlessly as much as you want - it has a characteristic tomato-carrot taste.. She is unpretentious, although she loves water. It does not spoil the taste of any dish, be it salad or soup. It helps restore metabolism, which greatly facilitates the course of diseases such as allergies, gout and diabetes. It reproduces aggressively by roots, therefore, to control its growth, it is better to plant it in improvised beds with dug-in sides made of slate (for example).

Offline

#4 2024-03-29 16:53:37

Ariya
Moderator

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Alec wrote:

Ariya, this is absolutely fantastic and beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I must say that I'm not surprised or impressed, because I already expected this from you (no pressure).
The insects and birds are indeed your friends, you are creating a wonderful experience.

Next, you're developing a free energy device (with assistance from others), paving the way for complete independence from 97% of resources.
I've noticed that each forum member possesses their own unique skill set, which is truly amazing.

I’m so pleased you like this idea Alec! That really does mean a lot to me☆

I have a natural instinct for freedom above all things. To be free is a mindset, and I find growing food reinforces this feeling. Also sailing boats, using only the power of wind and water, produces this feeling in me too. I recommend it!  ; ) Perhaps, it is easy to a create a good experience on Earth, simply by following your heart.

And I agree, I love reading this forum where many interesting minds come together. There are so many people with their own unique path making a difference to this world. (*☻-☻*)

Offline

#5 2024-03-29 16:54:43

Ariya
Moderator

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Kirion wrote:
Ariya wrote:

So please share your experiences or suggestions. I would love to hear from you all.

I would like to draw the attention of the forum to a medicinal weed called Aegopodium podagraria. In many communities, it is called "the bread of recent times". Because this herb can be eaten harmlessly as much as you want - it has a characteristic tomato-carrot taste.. She is unpretentious, although she loves water. It does not spoil the taste of any dish, be it salad or soup. It helps restore metabolism, which greatly facilitates the course of diseases such as allergies, gout and diabetes. It reproduces aggressively by roots, therefore, to control its growth, it is better to plant it in improvised beds with dug-in sides made of slate (for example).

Thank you Kirion! I love this suggestion. I have seen this plant growing wild locally (as a ‘weed’.) I have often admired its flowers but never tasted it. I will definitely try this next time I see it. ☆

Offline

#6 2024-03-29 17:38:00

Kirion
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Ariya wrote:

I have seen this plant growing wild locally (as a ‘weed’.) I have often admired its flowers but never tasted it. I will definitely try this next time I see it. ☆

It is usually eaten (3-7 sprouts) while still very young, when the height of the plant reaches about 10-20 cm. At the same time, the plant actively grows after pinching.

Offline

#7 2024-03-29 17:43:29

Alec
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Ariya wrote:

(...)Perhaps, it is easy to a create a good experience on Earth, simply by following your heart.(...)

That's precisely the optimal mindset: embracing and enjoying every moment, crafting memorable experiences instead of battling against the "game," which often results in exhaustion and depression.

Play or beat the game wisely, setting the appropriate boundaries, and enjoy the journey.

Offline

#8 2024-03-29 17:47:34

Kirion
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Alec wrote:

That's precisely the optimal mindset: embracing and enjoying every moment, crafting memorable experiences instead of battling against the "game," which often results in exhaustion and depression.

Ме agree. It's important who gets to be the fool in the end. smile

Offline

#9 2024-03-29 18:11:18

Aleksander
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Ariya wrote:

So please share your experiences or suggestions. I would love to hear from you all.

You know what is the quality of the airspace above Europe. Rain is toxic, then soil is toxic because of it and some toxic addons that farmers and industrial companies pour.

I do not know what type of water you are using for your plants but if by any chance you have or you could install water purifier or better water structurizer then that could make your food healthier. Of course I mean watering only tomatoes, pepper and such that you eat. It is too excessive to use this kind of water for other plants and flowers.

What is fascinating about plants is that they feel and give emotions. It is connected to how torsion fields work somehow. There have been conducted experiments what plants feel when you are shouting on them with negative energy for example. They are "scared" and they don't like it. You know when plants were mostly scared? When the gardener was walking closely to this room. It tourns out that they are passing information between them and even those plants who were in no contact with the gardener knew what he himself mean to them (cutting).

So to sum up, if you try to treat some of them by compassionate and emotional way they will return it in their own way.

Offline

#10 2024-03-29 20:18:11

Horton HaW
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Yes, I am a huge fan of this. In the past I have had gardens. Not much now. Many places are very strict about plants. Very silly. Space is also a very big problem. I don't really have time these days either. I looked into alternative building and many off-grid things at one time.
I love using herbs and medicinals. The fresh is so nice.

Yes plants are very interesting to listen to. Lot less drama than animals. Lol.


A person's a person, no matter how small.

Offline

#11 2024-03-29 20:21:32

Ariya
Moderator

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Aleksander wrote:

What is fascinating about plants is that they feel and give emotions. It is connected to how torsion fields work somehow.

I agree. Plants are beings - just like we are!  In the main, they are highly conscious and intelligent. They are tuned in to their environment, and can be sensitive.

From what I have experienced, the aspect that we see in the physical world is only a small representation of the whole consciousness of the plant. Much of their world and life experiences happen on planes of existence similar to what we might call the astral world. It is difficult to view it exactly as it is to them, because our filter of understanding is not the same. Nevertheless, we have common points of existence in which we interact. For example, the shared joy that we see in the flowering of a tulip bulb, is a small indication of the plant’s wider astral experience that it has being in full bloom.
IMG-9121.jpg
The more time you spend with plants, the more you can see this aspect of their existence. They also have a close (mainly symbiotic) relationship with elementals and faerie folk.

Aleksander wrote:

There have been conducted experiments what plants feel when you are shouting on them with negative energy for example. They are "scared" and they don't like it. You know when plants were mostly scared? When the gardener was walking closely to this room. It tourns out that they are passing information between them and even those plants who were in no contact with the gardener knew what he himself mean to them (cutting).

Yes, sometimes this is true. And what often makes me a bad gardener is that I am extremely sensitive to this. Many people tease me because I am always rescuing plants and can barely pull up a weed!

And to my weakness, in the list of plants I grow, they are mainly fruit producing (rather than harvesting the whole plant to eat.) Even with salad plants, I only take some leaves, and leave the plant to regenerate itself.
IMG-7051.jpg
Many herbs plants have deep wise souls and can teach you medicine if you wish to understand them. If you communicate and treat plants respectfully, and only take what you need, they are always much healthier.

But, on the other hand, there are many plants that are part of a mass consciousness, (like some grass) and they do not cling to life as we do - at least on the individual level.

Nevertheless, i still struggle with the thought of harming life. I never thin seedlings, and even if a plant is poorly producing, I always leave it to live its full life out (even at the expense of a poor harvest.) I also like to see my plants fully flower produce seed as it is important that they have a full life experience. They remain in the soil until the next season, so that they finish their life in a natural way, or return to life in spring.

Aleksander wrote:

So to sum up, if you try to treat some of them by compassionate and emotional way they will return it in their own way.

I will try.  & I appreciate your comments, thank you  . :  )

Offline

#12 2024-03-29 20:35:58

Horton HaW
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Field greens are my favorites. I have a Sweet Basil on my window that I only take a few from. Flower portals are lovely. I enjoy flowers a great deal.

I was so pleased to see bees again the last few years.

Last edited by Horton HaW (2024-03-29 20:38:53)


A person's a person, no matter how small.

Offline

#13 2024-03-29 20:48:53

Ariya
Moderator

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Horton HaW wrote:

Yes, I am a huge fan of this. In the past I have had gardens. Not much now. Many places are very strict about plants. Very silly. Space is also a very big problem. I don't really have time these days either. I looked into alternative building and many off-grid things at one time.
I love using herbs and medicinals. The fresh is so nice.

Yes plants are very interesting to listen to. Lot less drama than animals. Lol.


Yes, I was very lucky to find the space I have for growing. Before, I was growing a lot of herbs on the windowsill. And some container gardening on the path outside the front door.

Artemisia absinthium, (common wormwood) grows quite well in pots. It’s the best anti parasitic detox I have come across to date. Works well in the current environment … including against entities that use parasites as an entry into the body.

And you’re 100% right, it does take a lot of time…  although, I improved the watering regime with solar panels and water pumps/ irrigation on automatic timers.

Offline

#14 2024-03-29 20:53:59

Ariya
Moderator

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Horton HaW wrote:

Field greens are my favorites. I have a Sweet Basil on my window that I only take a few from. Flower portals are lovely. I enjoy flowers a great deal.

I was so pleased to see bees again the last few years.

Yes! Flower portals!
IMG-5284.jpg
& There were bees on the crocuses this morning!

Offline

#15 2024-03-29 20:55:39

Horton HaW
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Ariya wrote:
Horton HaW wrote:

Yes, I am a huge fan of this. In the past I have had gardens. Not much now. Many places are very strict about plants. Very silly. Space is also a very big problem. I don't really have time these days either. I looked into alternative building and many off-grid things at one time.
I love using herbs and medicinals. The fresh is so nice.

Yes plants are very interesting to listen to. Lot less drama than animals. Lol.


Yes, I was very lucky to find the space I have for growing. Before, I was growing a lot of herbs on the windowsill. And some container gardening on the path outside the front door.

Artemisia absinthium, (common wormwood) grows quite well in pots. It’s the best anti parasitic detox I have come across to date. Works well in the current environment … including against entities that use parasites as an entry into the body.

And you’re 100% right, it does take a lot of time…  although, I improved the watering regime with solar panels and water pumps/ irrigation on automatic timers.

The little plastic canopies do help. I would really like to setup a permaculture environment. A food forest. Even micro greens are interesting. Aqua and hydroponics, as well.

I find the automation helps make sure they don't get neglected.
I am familiar with wormwood. I am also a big fan of goldenseal. It is higher vibrating.

Last edited by Horton HaW (2024-03-29 20:58:52)


A person's a person, no matter how small.

Offline

#16 2024-03-30 00:21:32

Horton HaW
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Ariya wrote:
Horton HaW wrote:

Field greens are my favorites. I have a Sweet Basil on my window that I only take a few from. Flower portals are lovely. I enjoy flowers a great deal.

I was so pleased to see bees again the last few years.

Yes! Flower portals!
https://i.ibb.co/kDTbKHW/IMG-5284.jpg
& There were bees on the crocuses this morning!

That looks like a happy bee. Abundant pollen there. Lol.


A person's a person, no matter how small.

Offline

#17 2024-03-30 01:15:39

easternsea
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Fantastic! Ariya I believe you were once a wise druid.


Incarnated as a Chinese person, the bright and morning star.

Offline

#18 2024-03-30 16:39:04

Ariya
Moderator

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

easternsea wrote:

Fantastic! Ariya I believe you were once a wise druid.

Thank you easternsea! Maybe I was a druid - That would explain things ! ╰(*´︶`*)╯♡

Offline

#19 2024-03-31 07:40:01

Tardisman
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Ariya wrote:

So please share your experiences or suggestions. I would love to hear from you all.


Hi Ariya, how are you?

Here are some tips for gardening in the woods.

One of these is essential. A garden will not be possible without one.

Zowie.jpg

A 20,000 volt electrified fence is necessary, otherwise Bambi WILL eat all of your tomato plants “right to the ground”!

IMG-0015.jpg

Deer.jpg

And, you never know who might “drop in” for a visit unexpectedly & unknowingly...

Arcturian2.jpg

Although the elementals are usually not seen, they will let you know that they are around. Fortunately, they have a good sense of humour smile

IMG-0004.jpg

IMG-0012.jpg

Happy Gardening!

Last edited by Tardisman (2024-03-31 07:44:44)

Offline

#20 2024-03-31 12:24:25

Ariya
Moderator

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Tardisman wrote:

Hi Ariya, how are you?

Here are some tips for gardening in the woods.
(…)

Hello Tardisman! I’m doing very well. ☆

Thank you for sharing your gardening tips!

I liked seeing your visitors!

Tardisman wrote:

Although the elementals are usually not seen, they will let you know that they are around. Fortunately, they have a good sense of humour smile

IMG-0004.jpg

(…)
Happy Gardening!

Yes they have a great sense of humour! I am always amused by my carrots too. These vegetables often make me laugh by growing in strange shapes… ! 

IMG-0532.jpg

I really appreciate your post (and all your other contributions to the forum.)
Thank you ☆彡

Offline

#21 2024-04-01 05:15:22

okcs
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Most Taygetans live in the countryside without any other houses in sight, and grow their own food. Why would they live such an "unsophistocated" lifestyle?

A few years ago I was listening to Penny Kelly and she said plants tune into their caretakers and produce the nutrients they need. Thus the importance of growing your own food.

The book series called "The Ringing Cedars of Russia" says the same thing, that to get the nutrients you need, you must grow at least a small portion of your own food.  24 million copies have been sold.  https://www.ringingcedarsofrussia.org/M … /index.php

My wife grew up in the Philippines, and was born in a bamboo but on the mountainside. There the people on the mountain that grew their own food never suffer from obesity, dental cavities, or cancer, those are only ailments of the city dwellers there.

I have a book on my shelf called "Naked calories" where a couple traveled the world for six years, visiting indigenous people, and noting that their health was next to perfect, until they were introduced to the western diet of white sugar and white flour, and their health began to deteriorate rapidly. They said they never once saw an obese child that was eating their native diet.  That book has a excerpt from a study that showed apples in the US grown in 1990 had about 20 percent as many vitamins and minerals in them as apples grown in 1960. The entire population is malnourished.

Penny Kelly explains that fertilizer and pesticides kill the bacteria in the soil, the bacteria that poop out all the nutrients the plants need to make themselves full of nutrition. without those bacteria, there is very little nutrition in the food.

I grow a garden every year.

Offline

#22 2024-04-01 09:02:14

Kirion
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

okcs wrote:

Most Taygetans live in the countryside without any other houses in sight, and grow their own food. Why would they live such an "unsophistocated" lifestyle?
A few years ago I was listening to Penny Kelly and she said plants tune into their caretakers and produce the nutrients they need. Thus the importance of growing your own food.

Is this a guess or do Taygetans know that "plants tune into their caretakers and produce the nutrients they need"? Did they confirm this directly?
Anyway, thanks for the information provided. It is extremely important not only for landmarks, but also for survival in the long run.

Offline

#23 2024-04-01 13:18:04

mes333
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Does anyone know of a good plant (Vegetable/berry bush) I could grow on a windy westward balcony? Last year I tried to grow tomatoes but the wind destroyed the plant twice snapped it in two though I managed to get it to grow a third time and got about 6 tomatoes to eat out of it big_smile I was thinking to grow a berry bush as the wind might be kinder to a sturdy bush this year.

P.S. lovely pictures and very interesting how the carrots grew though my dirty sense of humor took over a bit smile


You have to be where you are to get where you need to go. – Amy Poehler

Offline

#24 2024-04-01 14:33:23

Ariya
Moderator

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

mes333 wrote:

Does anyone know of a good plant (Vegetable/berry bush) I could grow on a windy westward balcony? Last year I tried to grow tomatoes but the wind destroyed the plant twice snapped it in two though I managed to get it to grow a third time and got about 6 tomatoes to eat out of it big_smile I was thinking to grow a berry bush as the wind might be kinder to a sturdy bush this year.

I really like blueberry bushes (Vaccinium.) They are ideal in pots and grow well in a west facing aspect.

They are perennial which means they live for many years (though you may need to provide some frost / ice protection in the winter to stop the roots freezing in the pot.)

I find the plant very pretty. It produces small white bell-like pastel pink and green blossoms early in spring followed by dusky blue fruits in summer. In the autumn the leaves often turn beautiful shades of  red and purple.

Important to remember when growing blueberries is that they need ericaceous (acidic) compost with a pH of 4.5 - 5.5.

Because of their specific need for acidic compost, I plant mine in regular black buckets (with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage.) They can grow to about 1.5m in this size container.

You may need to provide wooden stakes to support the plant if it is very windy. Water regularly.

And cover the fruits when they appear (as birds enjoy the fruit.)

IMG-5324.jpg

mes333 wrote:

P.S. lovely pictures and very interesting how the carrots grew though my dirty sense of humor took over a bit smile

I know! I’m the same. I have such a childish sense of humour sometimes!!

Offline

#25 2024-04-01 17:18:18

mes333
Member

Re: Growing your own fruit, vegetables and herbs for food and medicine.

Ariya wrote:
mes333 wrote:

Does anyone know of a good plant (Vegetable/berry bush) I could grow on a windy westward balcony? Last year I tried to grow tomatoes but the wind destroyed the plant twice snapped it in two though I managed to get it to grow a third time and got about 6 tomatoes to eat out of it big_smile I was thinking to grow a berry bush as the wind might be kinder to a sturdy bush this year.

I really like blueberry bushes (Vaccinium.) They are ideal in pots and grow well in a west facing aspect.

They are perennial which means they live for many years (though you may need to provide some frost / ice protection in the winter to stop the roots freezing in the pot.)

I find the plant very pretty. It produces small white bell-like pastel pink and green blossoms early in spring followed by dusky blue fruits in summer. In the autumn the leaves often turn beautiful shades of  red and purple.

Important to remember when growing blueberries is that they need ericaceous (acidic) compost with a pH of 4.5 - 5.5.

Because of their specific need for acidic compost, I plant mine in regular black buckets (with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage.) They can grow to about 1.5m in this size container.

You may need to provide wooden stakes to support the plant if it is very windy. Water regularly.

And cover the fruits when they appear (as birds enjoy the fruit.)

https://i.ibb.co/nB02HcR/IMG-5324.jpg

mes333 wrote:

P.S. lovely pictures and very interesting how the carrots grew though my dirty sense of humor took over a bit smile

I know! I’m the same. I have such a childish sense of humour sometimes!!

This is beautiful information thanks you so much @Ariya specially for the ph value as I am a novice so wouldn't have even thought of that. I very much appreciate your suggestion and I love blueberries and in homemade oat flour muffin form too smile I was thinking about them and hoping they may work, so I will keep a look out for them when they come to the garden centres. I guess i should look for a non-GMO and or organic bush/seeds to plant otherwise they might not be so good to consume?

It does get quite windy so I will make sure to water and get a stake. I have made a planter out of wood so hopefully that will keep them well protected too. If I get them to grow I will make sure to share some pictures too. They sound very pretty minus the birds enjoying themselves in various ways around and on them but hey that is nature being nature so all good smile Thanks


You have to be where you are to get where you need to go. – Amy Poehler

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB