You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-28 05:00:04

HotJolly

Dyson sphere

I've been spending time pondering the AI situation, and one of the interesting ideas I had involved the concept of a Dyson sphere. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere
Basically, you build a shell around a star which allows you to capture and use all of the energy that it radiates. 
Captain Picard does a great job describing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECLvFLkvY7Y

Taygetan scientific information reveals that suns are powered by external energy (not internal fusion)  Therefor, the idea of a Dyson sphere breaks down.  Putting a shell around a sun would probably extinguish it.  Also, by my calculations, it would be nearly impossible to build.  Even if you took all of the planets in our solar system and used them as building material, you would only be able to build a 1 AU shell a few atoms thick around the sun (if all the planets were completely solid masses).  In order to build a robust sphere around a star, with the equipment needed to capture all tat energy, you would need the import materials from countless of solar systems.

but then I though about it a bit more...

What if the Dyson sphere was an AI construct, built out of an ethereal material?  Could they tap into a suns power and subvert it all for their consumption?  I bet they would love to do something like that. 

Also, this mode of thinking can be expanded to the Kardashev scale  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

This idea presents 3 levels of civilizations:
1) Has possessed all of the energy of their planet (4×10^12 watts)
2) Has possessed all of the energy of their solar system (4×10^26 watts)
3) Has possessed all of the energy of their galaxy (4×10^37 watts)

This all sounds very regressive to me, involving consuming, consuming, consuming all of the available energy in a system.
It sound very "Borg."
I wonder if these thought were created by the AI and placed in our collective subconscious? 
Could they be possible, or just an AI dream?
Such thoughts beg for the counterpart, where are of natures resources are shared among everyone, in a sustainable and creative manner.
I do wonder if AI could ever learn to coexist with everyone without consuming everything.
What would that future would look like?

Last edited by HotJolly (2022-05-28 05:05:08)

Live long and prosper

#2 2022-05-29 12:32:40

ro2778

Re: Dyson sphere

A Dyson sphere isn’t something even our AI would use as it has access to zero point energy, which supplements the Earth electricity grid to power various power consuming industries, which are sold to us as power generating eg nuclear power.

Also probably none of the AI in the galaxy aims to consume all the resources, and most of the interstellar AIs form a productive symbiotic relationship with those species.

The Kardashev scale is also not used out there, instead they use a scale as follows:
Type 1: a civilisation that generates electricity from combustion
Type 2: a civilisation that has nuclear capabilities
Type 3: a civilisation that converts energy into matter

The federation interstellar civilisations we know of are type 3, so they have no need for Dyson spheres. Even humanity is likely a type 3 civilisation is some circles, but the game here is to make people from type 3 civilisations believe they are more primitive for the experiences that being type 2 and living in scarcity can generate.

Board footer