You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-10 11:21:39

Bigfeet_E

Searching the transcript section is unintuitive

It's a mess ! Traversing the transcript section (so not the forum) is frustrating and unless you have oceans of time and patience to search for a singular subject, plowing through this library is like finding a needle in a haystack.

There is no way to add multiple filters, as it always resets and only utilises the last 'filter' clicked.
I can only see just a couple of filters to choose from. By language and/or sources, display as (2 options), order by (4 options), by title (wich doesn't seem to work unless you know the exact title ... i guess). How do you ppl navigate this , i wonder ?
Everytime i decide to take another peek for a subject i'd like to revisit (like pyramides an our ago), it is just impossible to get direct results without having to shift through 113 pages or so. Thirty minutes of this and i loose all incentive.

The site in in due need of a major upgrade in this sense. No wonder people keep asking the same questions, talk about the same things. There's just no intuitive organisation, proper indexation.

I think in terms of attractability for potential new visitors, or for older just the same, there needs to be attention adressed to this major problem. Wich just keeps growing larger exponentially the more content is added. The way it is now helps nobody, just saying.

#2 2023-09-10 11:55:11

ro2778

Re: Searching the transcript section is unintuitive

you can use google site search e.g., site:swaruu.org "sphinx AND mount" gets you information on the Mount Bucegi sphinx, which I searched for using mount because I couldn't remember the name Bucegi

#3 2023-09-12 00:12:27

Horton HaW

You can also use startpage or duckduckgo.

A person's a person, no matter how small.

Verum vident finem noctis - See the truth will end the night. ~Yazhi Swaruu

#4 2023-09-12 10:57:09

Gosia
Administrator

Thank you. Let´s see what Mikko can do about it. He has very little time though, and doing it totally voluntarily, with no help (we cannot grant anyone access to the server due to lack of trust), so it may take time. We are lucky we can have transcripts online in the first place though. For the first 3 years we had nothing. But let´s see how he can improve it. smile

Bigfeet_E wrote:

It's a mess ! Traversing the transcript section (so not the forum) is frustrating and unless you have oceans of time and patience to search for a singular subject, plowing through this library is like finding a needle in a haystack.

There is no way to add multiple filters, as it always resets and only utilises the last 'filter' clicked.
I can only see just a couple of filters to choose from. By language and/or sources, display as (2 options), order by (4 options), by title (wich doesn't seem to work unless you know the exact title ... i guess). How do you ppl navigate this , i wonder ?
Everytime i decide to take another peek for a subject i'd like to revisit (like pyramides an our ago), it is just impossible to get direct results without having to shift through 113 pages or so. Thirty minutes of this and i loose all incentive.

The site in in due need of a major upgrade in this sense. No wonder people keep asking the same questions, talk about the same things. There's just no intuitive organisation, proper indexation.

I think in terms of attractability for potential new visitors, or for older just the same, there needs to be attention adressed to this major problem. Wich just keeps growing larger exponentially the more content is added. The way it is now helps nobody, just saying.

#5 2023-09-12 15:57:24

Bigfeet_E

images.jpg

#6 2023-09-12 22:26:13

Horton HaW

Gosia wrote:

Thank you. Let´s see what Mikko can do about it. He has very little time though, and doing it totally voluntarily, with no help (we cannot grant anyone access to the server due to lack of trust), so it may take time. We are lucky we can have transcripts online in the first place though. For the first 3 years we had nothing. But let´s see how he can improve it. smile

Bigfeet_E wrote:

Thanks so much for the transcripts. They are invaluable!

A person's a person, no matter how small.

Verum vident finem noctis - See the truth will end the night. ~Yazhi Swaruu

Board footer